Chicken & Shrimp Quinoa Paella
Serves 4. Total Time: 20 minutes.
Paella is the perfect keep-them-all happy dish. Something for everyone and it’s also a great one for experimenting with a super wide range of meats, veggies and seafood.
- 1 lb raw medium sized deveined shrimp
- 1 med/large chicken breast, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 finely sliced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2½ cups chicken, vegetable or fish broth
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1. In a large pan on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken, onion, garlic, cumin and paprika and sauté until garlic and onion are tender, about 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more.
2. Add quinoa, broth, lemon zest and juice, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer on medium-low and continue to cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa becomes al dente (about 8 to 10 minutes). Stir occasionally. Add a little more stock if required. You're looking for a consistency similar to risotto.
3. Last 5 mins (just as quinoa becomes al dente) - add shrimp and peas and cover until shrimp is cooked. Be sure quinoa remains al dente, we don't want it soggy. Check seasoning and serve with chopped parsley, a good splash of olive oil and fresh lemons.