Spaghetti w Roasted Tomatoes, Olives, Balsamic & Capers
This “richer than a Saudi Prince” pasta has a curious cooking technique. Were going to actually roast the sauce before we add the pasta. This little twist brings out BIG flavour.
Serves 3 - takes 25 mins.
- 1 pd box of spaghetti
- 1 finely diced white onion
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 4 tbsps. of capers
- Medium sized tin of crushed tomatoes (approx. 500mls)
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar (I prefer Maille vinegar)
- 1 cup of black olives (seeds removed)
- 1 tsp. crushed chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- Small block of Parmesan
- Bunch of rosemary
In a medium/high heat pan sauté off onions and garlic until almost brown (opaque), then add capers and balsamic. Let balsamic reduce by approx. half (2 mins) add tin of crushed tomatoes, sugar, olives, chilli flakes, a few sprigs of rosemary and additional seasoning.
This is where it gets fun. Slide the pan into oven at 425 for 20 mins without a lid. This both roasts and reduces the sauce giving it a flavour that you couldn’t achieve on the stove top. In the meantime cook off your pasta. Remove you sauce from the oven, toss in your pasta, drizzle with your fav extra virgin olive oil, and grate over Parmesan and sprinkle chilli flakes (to taste).