Tomato, Garlic Chips & Crispy Rosemary
Serves 4 - takes 15 mins
Man oh man are we all sick of basil & feta on tomato salads already? Tomatoes adore garlic & rosemary, but I gotta few twists that take this even more next level. Crunchy, salty & herbaceous.
- 2lb. Tomatoes, cut 1.4’ slices (I’ve used heirloom but beefsteak work great)
- 4 garlic cloves, thin sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (leaves removed from stems)
- Approx. ½ cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar (any vinegar would work)
- A few pinch’s of a good finishing salt (I like Maldon salt, but kosher will work).
To a medium sized fry pan on low/med heat add ¼ inch vegetable or canola oil. Add rosemary sprigs to oil, fry until just browned, approx. 20 to 40 seconds (depending on oil heat). Remove and let drain on paper towel. Then add garlic to the same oil, fry until caramel/light brown coloured. Remove and also drain on paper towel.
In small bowl combine olive oil, vinegar, pinch of salt and cracked pepper to create vinaigrette. I prefer a jar with a lid for this process.
Arrange tomatoes on a platter, drizzle over vinaigrette, sprinkle over garlic and rosemary, add a pinch or 2 of finishing salt (Maldon is great but kosher works also).