Fancy-Pants Bangers & Lentils w Red Pepper & Onion Relish
Serves 3 to 4 - takes 10 mins
Pre-heat over to 450F
A classic reinvented into something lighter with BIGGER flavour and shhhhh, healthier.
- 4 sausages (spend $ on goodies) *This recipe works well with chicken breast too.
- 1 tin of lentils, rinsed and drained
- cup of any stock (or water)
- 1/2 a carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium onion- 1/2 finely diced - 1/2 finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 heaped Tbsp Dijon mustard (I love Maille)
- 2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar (again, I like Maille)
Sear sausages in hot pan w a splash of oil. When browned both sides slide into oven for 5 mins.
Meanwhile... In a medium sized pot over medium heat add a splash of olive oil - sweat off finely chopped onion and carrot (around 5 mins). Add rinsed lentils, Dijon, stock and thyme. Simmer on medium heat until lentils suck up most of the liquids. Check seasoning.
Onion Red Pepper Relish
In a medium fry pan over medium/high heat add a generous splash of olive oil. Add thinly sliced onion and red pepper, season lightly w salt/pepper. Sweat until brown. Add balsamic. Reduce 30 seconds more.
Lentils on plate, sausages on top then your lazy onion/pepper relish. Comfort food baby.