Beef & Barley “Soupy Stew”
Serves 4 - Prep 15 mins (cook time 90 mins)
Big hardy chunks of beef with al dente barley makes this dish a cozy nippy night meal. Toss in a fresh baguette with a lashing of butter and a glass of big bold red and you’ve got all your food groups covered.
- 1 1/2 lbs. of stewing beef cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1.5 litres beef broth (chicken of veg is fine)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce (just use your fave)
- ½ tsp crushed chili flakes (to taste)
- 1 cup barley
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme (removed from stem)
- Parsley for garnish (not required)
In a large heavy base pot over med/high high add a splash of oil and your beef, season with salt/pepper. Sauté the beef until it's browned. Remove from pot and set aside. Brown in batches if required, don't crowd the pot or the beef will steam. In the same pot sauté your onions, carrots, and garlic for 5 mins or until softened, remove excess fat from pot if required. Add the beef back into the pot with its juice along with all the other ingredients - **Only add 1 litre or stock for now, add more as required. Add first it will appear runny but the starch from the barley will thicken the dish up.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low, cover and simmer for 60/90 mins or until beef is tender. Check occasionally with a fork. Check seasoning, serve and cuddle up with a loved one.