Chicken & Shrimp Quinoa Paella
Serves 4 easily - Total Time: 20 minutes.
Paella is the perfect keep-them-all happy dish. Something for everyone and it’s also a great one for experimenting with a super wide range of meats, veggies and seafood.
- 1 lb raw medium sized shrimp (peeled if you prefer)
- 1 med/large chicken breast, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2½ cups chicken, vegetable or fish broth
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- t tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1/3 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
In a large pan over medium/high heat, add a splash of olive oil. Add chicken, onion, garlic, cumin and paprika and sauté until garlic and onion are tender, about 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more.
Add quinoa, broth, lemon zest and juice and chilli flakes. Cover and bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer on medium/low and continue to cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa becomes al dente (approx. 8 to 10 minutes). Stir occasionally. Add a little more stock if required. You're after a consistency similar to risotto.
Last 5 mins (just as quinoa becomes al dente), add shrimp and peas and cover until shrimp is cooked. Be sure quinoa remains al dente, we don't want it soggy. Check and adjust seasoning, serve with torn parsley, a good splash of olive oil and fresh lemons.