Lentil, Chorizo & Kale Cassoulet
Takes 30 mins – Serves 4
This delicious one-pot cold weather cassoulet (bean stew) is a soul warmer. Serve with a fresh baguette and not so fresh bottle of red and roll your eyes back in pleasure.
- 1 med white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 med/ 1 large chorizo sausage, rough sliced (1/2 inch slices)
- 1 ½ cups of rinsed lentils
- 1 earl grey or English breakfast tea bag
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme (15/20 sprigs)
- 1 cup of finely chopped kale
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (any vinegar will also work).
In a large pot on med heat add a splash of olive oil, onions, garlic and chorizo. Sweat off for 2/3 mins. Add lentils, tea bag, bay leaves, mustard, thyme and 3 cups of water. Lid on and bring to boil, then reduce to gentle simmer. Remove tea bag after 3/5 mins. Continue to stir every 5 mins, add more water as required. When lentils are cooked but still firm (al dente) add kale and vinegar, stir and remove from heat, check for seasoning and let rest for 5 mins with lid on. Remove thyme stems before serving.