Lentil & Cumin Cassoulet w Sausages
Serves 4 - takes 20 mins
This satiating soulful dish will make you wanna cozy up under a blanket and fire up Netflix. *Leave out the sausages and it makes a great lentil stew.
- 4/5 good quality large sausages of choice (1/2 kilo approx.)
- I medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 10oz cans of lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (any stock will do)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme (separate into 2 portions)
On a heavy bottom saucepan grill sausages until brown on each side, they don’t need to be cooked through. Remove from pan once brown. In the same pan add onions and carrots. Sweat off for 2/4 mins - or until soft. Then add tomato paste and cumin - brown off for an additional 2 minutes.
Cut sausages into ¾ inch dices, add back into pan with lentils, stock, 1/2 of your thyme (1 Tbsp.) and bay leaf. Lid on and simmer for 15 mins on low-med heat (add more stock if required).
Serve with fresh thyme and splash of good quality olive oil. Goes great with a fresh baguette… toss in a bottle of big red and you’re in heaven.