Mushroom, Nori & Truffle Oil Steel-Cut “Risotto”
Serves 4/6 – Takes 25 mins
Swapping out Arborio rice for steel-cut oats gives risotto a delicious nuttiness you just can't get with rice. You will NOT believe there’s no meat in this. The umami in this dish will blow your meat loving leather boots off!
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups of finely chopped mushrooms of choice
- 3 cups of veg stock (beef or chicken works also)
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan (no need for fresh)
- drizzle of truffle oil (optional)
Add a good splash of olive oil to a med heat heavy bottom pot, add onion, garlic, mushrooms and pinch of salt. Sweat off until onions become translucent (5 mins). Add oats, stock, soy and 1 sheet of nori (tear up nori roughly and add). Continue to stir on low/med heat (like risotto), add additional stock if required. Once desired consistency is achieved (approx. 15/20 mins.) add Parmesan, check seasoning and serve with finely cut nori and a drizzle of truffle oil.