Mushroom, Thyme & Walnut Pasta
Serves 4 – Takes 15 mins
One of those dishes that just works. Thyme and garlic infused cream with warmed walnuts - this one feels like a big hug on a cool winters night.
- 400g pappardelle (any thick pasta works great; fettuccine, linguine)
- 400g field mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbspns fresh thyme (removed from stems)
- 1 cup 35% cream
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 250g fresh Parmesan
Cook your pasta in a saucepan of heavily salted boiling water for 8–10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside 1/2 a cup of the cooking water.
Add a splash of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over med/high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt and sweat off for 3/5 mins. Add garlic and sweat off for 2 mins (don’t let garlic burn). Then add wine, cream and thyme. Let simmer for 3/5 mins or until sauce thickens. Add a splash of cooking water if required.
Add pasta to saucepan along with walnuts and half of the Parmesan. Toss to coat and check seasoning. Plate and add remaining Parmesan and cracked pepper.