Orange & Ginger Beef
Serves 4 app/2 main – Takes 30 mins
Mom would make a version of this when I was a kid. Boy did I LOVE it. I don’t remember her recipe but this is my take on it. It’s also only a 10 min marinade so you can get it all done in under 30 mins.
- 2 Striploin steaks (approx. 700gms in total, cut into ¼‘ thick strips). Flank works too but wont be as tender. Remember this is not a tenderizing marinade.
- zest of 1 orange
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
- 2 Tbsp. smashed roasted peanuts (optional)
- Peeled thinly sliced orange peel (use a vegetable peeler then slice thinly)
With the exception of the green onions, peanuts and orange peel, toss the beef and all other ingredients into a ziplock bag and massage. Let sit at room temp for 15 to 20 minutes.
In a large fry pan on high heat add a splash of neutral oil (canola or vegetable – olive oil is too overpowering for this dish). Remove beef from bag and run beef between fingers to remove excess marinade. Fry pieces, season with salt. Don’t crowd the pan, we want slices to brown quickly, not steam. Remove as done, place on platter, garnish with green onions, peanuts and orange peel. Serve immediately with a cool crisp beer.