St. Pat’s “Drunken” Kale Meat Pie
Takes 25 minutes - Serves 5 to 6
Pre-heat oven to 450F. It's called his "drunken pie" because it's so easy you can make it drunk (Kidding!!). Btw the booze is optional (and it cooks off) so it's great for kids too.
- 2 lbs of ground beef or bison (80/20 is great)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 can of Guinness (or 2 cups of beef/chicken stock, or any darker beer)
- Splash of ketchup
- 2 Tbsp of cornflour in a splash of cold water (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pressed cup of Kale leaves, finely sliced
- 1 cup of peas (frozen are great)
- 1 bay leaf
In your Staub paella pan add a splash of olive oil, carrots, onions, meat and cumin. Once browned off add beer (or stock) and ketchup. Let reduce for a 3/5 minutes then add cornflour. Let simmer very gently until mixture thickens a little.
Meanwhile… in a pot over medium heat add a healthy whack of olive oil, garlic, kale and peas. Heat until wilted, add salt/pepper. Top your meat filling with the kale mixture, slide into your oven for 20 mins.
I love this dish served with a decent dollop of hot mustard next to it - btw this dish tastes even BETTER the next day.